Pages - Menu

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Be Flexiable



Nothing in the world is more flexible and yielding than water. Yet when it attacks the firm and the strong, none can withstand it, because they have no way to change it. So the flexible overcome the adamant,    the yielding overcome the forceful.  -Lao Tzu


One of my strengths that I have always been aware of is my aptitude to be flexible. I usually can "go with the flow". It always amazes me how some people get stuck in a state resistant to change, or challenges to their perspective on how things "should" be. Now I am not the most adventurous person, I usually play it safe when it comes to taste in clothes, food etc. However, I am referring to becoming flexible in life. 


I used to work with an older woman who resented whenever management would implement a change in processes or systems. She would complain and become known as the old woman scared of technology. Well, that what's being inflexible is fear.


Fear of the unknown. Fear of failure. Fear of what others might think. 


Fear can rob you of opportunities and experiences that can be enriching and life changing. Fear is a self sabotaging agent that holds you back from your greatness. Inflexibility is the outward expression of fear. My former co worker was passed up for many promotional opportunities because of her reputation, she didn't realize that she had only hurt herself . 


When you find you especially resistance to stop, breath and ask your self. What am I really feeling? Is it true? What's the worst that can happen? When you stop and ask yourself these questions, this gives you a chance to think before you react. You may discover that the change may not be that bad and possibly for the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment